Looking Beyond the Literal Letter Calligraphy Workshop
Once one masters the ductus and has a thorough understanding of the structure of letterforms, we need to make them our own. This looking beyond the literal letter calligraphy workshop will explore ways of looking at letters in a more abstract way while moving away from the rigidity of writing between two lines. The ultimate goal of this class will be to develop a fresh and unique style based on your own existing style.
- Writing common groups of letters, both upper and lowercase in skeletal form.
- Looking at the length, angle and position of each stroke and their relationship to one another and how they can be altered for effect.
- Analysing the counter and exterior spaces of each letter and positioning ensuing letters accordingly.
- Exploring how far the strokes can be pushed and the extremes of letter design without losing clarity.
- Looking at how they change when weight is added and different tools are used.
- Designing whole alphabets and assembling words to make unique and expressive designs.
Suitable for a 1 or 2 day workshop