Copperplate Variations Calligraphy Workshop
This copperplate variations calligraphy workshop is about looking at the essential components of the copperplate style and exploring a new way of looking at it. Many of the ‘rules’ are the same, but stroke terminals, joins, spacing and letter shapes can all be altered to make a style which is fine and elegant, with a creative twist.
- Pen handling. The correct angle to the page and the correct position in the hand to achieve the perfect line.
- Looking at two different, but interchangeable variations in style, and analysing the characteristics and key elements of both.
- Practicing the subtle variations in letter height and experimenting with a varying x-height.
- Looking at letter spacing and how it can vary yet still achieve a balanced piece.
- Experimenting with placing words together and how to make a successful design.
Suitable for a 2 day workshop